A newborn baby’s skin is extremely sensitive which means that prolonged exposure to moisture, dirt, and heat can lead to various complications especially within their first six months of life even with the best skin care products like Aveeno香港. However, many parents often ask the burning question on whether babies should be exposed to sunlight to get the numerous benefits that come with it.
Fortunately, there is a compromise. Parents who wish to let their child enjoy sunlight may do so in the early morning around 7 am although it’s best to avoid exposing them to direct sunlight between 10 am to 4 pm when the sun is at its hottest. While there are benefits to receiving sunlight, parents must also remember to practice certain safety precautions like:
- Picking the right time – Many experts suggest exposing your baby to sunlight for 10-15 minutes in a day, from 7 to 9 in the morning. An hour after sunrise and an hour prior to sunset are also ideal times to avoid excess exposure to UV rays.
- Choosing the right location – Exposing a baby to sunlight doesn’t mean prolonged sun bathing. In fact, a parent or a caregiver can simply open a window to allow natural sunlight to bathe in their child’s room. Keeping the baby inside helps babies avoid dust and other foreign bodies better.
- Getting the doctor’s approval first – If your baby has sensitive skin, asking the doctor for any alternatives to sunlight or special products reduces your baby’s chances of feeling discomfort. If you are unsure on whether it’s okay to expose your baby to sunlight at an early age then ask a doctor first.
- Monitoring body temperature – Any increase in the baby’s body temperature caused by prolonged sunlight exposure could be a sign of possible risks. Limiting sunlight time is important since a baby’s body and brain functions can be affected by high temperature when left alone under the heat for too long.
- Stay with the baby – Keeping an eye out for the baby during these moments is important and a wonderful time to bond. Avoid leaving your baby under the light since it can potentially lead to several physical and development issues.
When done properly, exposure to sunlight can bring numerous effects to your baby’s health like providing them with natural Vitamin D, improve the production of serotonin (the hormone responsible for regulating sleep, digestion, and prevent depression), enhance insulin levels, ensure a healthy nervous system, and improve blood clotting. With these key benefits in mind, allowing your baby to get used to the warmth of the sunlight also provides them the chance to adjust to their surroundings while also providing you a chance to bond.
During these moments, parents should take advantage when bonding like caressing their baby, speaking to them in soft voices, and providing them with extra protection against the heat. This well-utilized time ensures both mother and baby establish a strong foundation of love and care that can provide both physical and emotional benefits for both the parent/caregiver and the child.