With the current problem of drug and alcohol abuse in the U.S and worldwide, the need for certified drug rehabilitation centers is imminent. With close to 6000 substance abuse treatment facilities in the U.S, addicts are assured of credible treatment centers, with professionals ready to help them with their journey.
The extension of health coverage to a wide range of citizens through the Affordable Care Act has enabled health insurers to cover substance abuse treatment and offered recovery support for millions of affected individuals.
The first step towards alcohol recovery is accepting the problem of addiction. Individuals who acknowledge their drug problem and addictive behaviors are often ready to start the next phase towards building better and fulfilled lives.
There are various treatment plans available for drug addicts, categorized according to the type of drug, the individual, and the length of usage. These include:
- Inpatient plans- These plans offer round the clock support for chronic addiction cases and offer an intensive approach.
- Outpatient plans- These plans offer comprehensive care while allowing the patient to continue with their daily activities. This plan is for less severe cases of drug addiction where the patient is able to multitask with home duties.
Both rehabilitation plans are monitored by professionals to ensure all due process is followed.
However, what does drug rehabilitation entail?
The process of drug rehabilitation
The drug rehabilitation process is an extensive wholesome process that encompasses the body, mind and soul. This process ensures in-depth procedures that vary depending on each individual. A complete rehab process includes a 28-day program or months, depending on the healing process.
There are four steps in the drug rehabilitation process:
Whether an individual decides to voluntarily or involuntary register in a rehabilitation center, the first phase of treatment begins when a counselor or professional undergoes a thorough assessment to begin a treatment plan catered to individual tastes. This assessment consists of a psychological, physical, mental and medical evaluation to assess the individual’s state, whether in withdrawal or intoxicated. The rehab facility then highlights the expected guidelines the facility has to offer, taking into consideration the patient’s eventual goals and aspirations. The results of the assessment determine whether the patient will be inpatient or outpatient.
The detoxification process entails getting rid of the physical dependency of drugs in the system safely. Detox is incredibly helpful as the drugs are slowly gleaned from the body system, depending on the patient’s usage. Medication is used in severe cases of addiction. It seeks to reduce the drugs’ counter effects by providing a safe and stable avenue for the transition from addiction to withdrawal. Most rehabilitation facilities offer detoxification as the first step in addiction recovery. The detoxification process entails supplementation of drugs with alternate activities such as exercise, programming or meditation. Therapy may be introduced depending on the receptiveness of the detox process. As various drugs have different side effects and withdrawal symptoms, it is best to undergo detoxification in the presence of a certified professional.
After the detox process, the individual is then guided through counseling processes to identify the root cause or triggers of their addiction problem, ways to deal with it and heal. For instance, one-on-one counseling sessions provide a brief history of the individual and their coping mechanisms to significant issues in their lives. Past trauma and unresolved issues in an individual’s past may cause dependency on drugs or alcohol. Therefore, identifying the underlying factors and tackling them will make the patient wholesome without needing anything to numb them from their trauma. Various therapy counseling approaches seek to help addicts uncover deep-seated issues as they work to overcome consequent addictive behaviors. Group therapy is also a rehabilitation treatment plan, usually towards the end of the rehab treatment. It aims to guide the patient to other human interactions and sensitize them on support groups’ needs in their recovery journey.
Aftercare from rehabilitation centers ensures the patient continues with their treatment and healing way after leaving the facility. These services seek to walk with the patient by offering non-medical services and slowly transitioning into the world. The social structure is fundamental in this stage as it helps the individual cultivate meaningful relationships that will help them be better versions of themselves. Sponsors and life coaches may offer scheduled visits to the patients to check on their progress. There are also sober living home plans and support groups that offer accountability to the patient after leaving the rehab facility. Aftercare continues for months or even years after the patient have left the rehab facility. Therefore, maintaining a healthy family and social structure will enhance the continuity of clean habits.
What to consider when choosing drug rehabilitation centers
When it comes to choosing a suitable rehabilitation center, various factors should be considered:
- Proximity – Individuals should factor in proximity when choosing suitable rehabilitation centers. Finding one that is close to your home area if you are an outpatient will offer the best navigation routes.
- Services –Consider the type of services offered in the rehabilitation center you have chosen. For instance, some centers only offer detox processes.
- Certification –There are various certifications available for various rehab facilities depending on the respective state. For instance, check whether the selected rehabilitation center has the required local licenses and certifications.
- Cost –Rehab facilities vary from very basic centers to luxury facilities. The type of rehab center an individual chooses will ultimately depend on their budget. There are, however, free state-funded treatment facilities.
- Customer service –The overall reception of the rehab staff and their attitude towards patients is an indicator of their dedication to serve and guide you every step of the way.
Patients who undergo drug rehabilitation with open minds come out with changed attitudes. Addiction recovery encompasses all aspects of the body and requires the constant strive to be better. With physical and virtual meetings available, individuals can access the help they need by contacting the available facilities in their region and making the first step towards recovery.