The need and demand for studying and working remotely increased significantly in the past two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Organizations, offices, schools, and educational institutions were forced to adapt their working strategies and ask the employees and students to work online. The aim was to prevent any disruption in productivity or education, especially when getting an online master’s degree.
Surveys conducted among the students and workers reflect both opportunities and challenges of studying and working online. A large percentage of respondents do recognize the advantage of saving efforts and eliminating travel time when working remotely from home. Many found a higher level of comfort and freedom while working from home. However, most faced certain challenges in studying and working remotely that will be discussed on this page.
The key challenges of working remotely:
- It was difficult for most to adapt to the new style of working and use the different online tools during collaboration platforms and video conferencing. Any problems with technology do not get resolved as quickly, and sometimes it may take more time than anticipated.
- It is not easy to combine and adjust daily routines and family commitments within their working hours when working from home. Thus, time management can go for a toss, and one may feel overwhelmed when from home.
- For many, it was difficult to establish regular communication and connection due to technical issues such as poor internet access or unstable connections. It is still challenging to get a good cell signal and internet connectivity in many countries and remote areas.
- Based on their different time zones and designated work times, it was complicated for many workers and students to meet the deadline and submit the projects in time. Those issues can add to the problem of communicating effectively, and any miscommunication can leave an adverse impact on the work and the workers.
- Isolation and loneliness were other issues faced by people working remotely from home. Online interactions are not the same as face-to-face interactions, and long-term home working can leave a negative impact on the relationships and mental health of the workers and students.
- Another major challenge for both organization, institution, and their workers is to maintain security and keep ahead of the current security risks, breaches, and hacks. There are significant risks involved as a colossal amount of data and information is being shared online.
While there are both advantages and disadvantages of working remotely, it is essential to look for ways and means to curb those disadvantages. Educational institutions and offices must make extra effort to provide good technology to establish regular communication. Advanced software should be used to track the performance as well as ensure safety and security from any unauthorized access. Companies should make their employees feel special and part of an office culture even when working remotely so that they do not feel isolated. Students and workers should be given opportunities to share pleasantries with peers and coworkers and socialize with people.
Working remotely is the new trend today, and the faster one adapts to it, the better it would be for their growth and mindset. Any potential issues and downsides should be discussed freely to make the most sensible decisions.